H-section steel beam is a kind of economical section material with more optimized cross-sectional area distribution and more reasonable strength-to-weight ratio. It is named because its section is same as English letter "H". Due to the right-angle arrangement of all parts of H-beam, it has been widely used in steel structure buildings for its strong bending resistance, simple construction, cost saving and light structural weight in all directions.
Application Scope of H Beam
H beam is mainly used for beam and column members in industrial and civil structures.
1. Load-bearing support for industrial structures.
2. Steel piles and supporting structure of underground engineering.
3. Structure of industrial equipment such as petrochemical and electric power.
4. Long-span steel bridge components.
5. Ship and machinery manufacturing frame structure.
6. Girder support for trains, cars, and tractors.
7. Port conveyor belt, high-speed baffle bracket.
H Beam Introduction
H beams are divided into hot-rolled H-beams and welded H-beams (H). Hot-rolled H-beams conclude wide-flange H-beams (HW), middle-flange H-beams (HM) and narrow-flange H-beams (HN). HW is H beam with basically same height and flange width, which is mainly used as core column in reinforced concrete frame structure, also called stiff steel column. HM is H beam that the ratio of the height and flange width is roughly 1.33~~1.75. Mainly used in steel structures as steel frame columns that bear dynamic loads, such as equipment platforms. HM is H beam that the ratio of the height and flange width is greater than or equal to 2. The main materials of H-beam are Q235B, SM490, SS400, Q345, Q345B, etc.
H beam is a new type steel beam for economic steel construction. The section shape of H-beam is economical and reasonable with good mechanical properties. The extension of each point on the section is more uniform and the internal stress is small during rolling. Compared with ordinary I-beams, it has the advantages of large section modulus, lightweight, and metal saving, which can make structure buildings’ weight reduced by 30-40%. Bellow are specific characteristics.
1. Wide flange and large lateral rigidity. Strong bending resistance, about 5%-10%biggerthan I-beam.
2. The two surfaces of the flange are parallel to each other, which makes the connection, processing and installation easily.
3. Compared with welded I-beams, it has advantages of low cost, high precision, low residual stress, no need expensive welding materials and weld inspection, and saves about 30% of the steel structure production cost.
4. Under the same section load. The weight of hot rolled H steel structure is 15%-20% lighter than the traditional steel structure.
5. Compared with the concrete structure, the hot-rolled H steel structure can increase the use area by 6%, while the structure's own weight is reduced by 20%-30%, which reduces the internal force of the structural design.
1. High structural strength: Compared with I-beam, the section modulus is larger, and the metal can be saved by 10-15% under the same bearing conditions. The design style is flexible and abundant: in the case of the same beam height, the steel structure will be 50% larger than the concrete structure bay, thus making the building layout more flexible.
2. Light structure weight: Compared with concrete structure, the steel structure’s weight is reduced, which reduces the internal force of structure design, simplifies construction and decreases the cost.
3. High structural stability: The steel structure mainly made of H-section steel has scientific and reasonable structure with good plasticity and flexibility, and high structural stability. It is suitable for building structures that withstand large vibration and impact loads.
4. Increase the effective use area of the structure: Compared with the concrete structure, the steel structure column has a small cross-sectional area, which can increase the effective use area of the building.
5. Save labor and material: Compared with welding H-shaped steel, it can save labor and material, and reduce the consumption of raw materials, energy and labor.
6. Easy to process by machine: easy to connect and install, dismantle and reuse.
7. Environmental protection: The use of H-shaped steel can effectively protect the environment, specifically in three aspects: Firstly, the steel structure can be installed by dry construction, that resulting in less noise and less dust. Secondly, due to the reduction of self-weight, the amount of soil taken for foundation construction is small, which causes little damage to land resources. In addition, the amount of concrete is greatly reduced, and the amount of rock digging is reduced, which is conducive to the protection of the ecological environment. Thirdly, after the service life of the building structure expires, the structure is dismantled, resulting in a small amount of solid waste, the recovery value of waste steel resource is high.